Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Reading Response - Nov 20

It is only fitting that for our last topic of class discussion we return to an issue that each of us have debated heavily over the last year.  How do historians handle everyone being able to share their story of an event in this new “information age?” 

I thought that the Boston Marathon article was awesome in that the historian was reaching out to the public through the media to have people tell their stories.  While prior to this we have been focused on actually documenting people’s stories for our own use, we have not really gotten into how a historian would reach out to the public to find these people.  Some of the public history articles we read today helped me out with that problem, but that is one thing that I wish we could discuss a little more today.

The scientific research piece was interesting for me because I had never thought about the different ways to compile research (especially in relation to a museum).  I have never taken a public history class here, so in a way some of this is foreign to me.  The majority of my experience has been conducting my own research for projects, and I have not ever gotten a good feel for how museums do theirs.  There must be some differences or there would not be a Public History emphasis area here.


Even though coming into this class I had the idea that history was moving closer to some of the sciences in the way we are able to conduct research, I struggled defending that case.  This class has exposed me to many unique programs, and projects that I probably would not had much exposure to anywhere else.  Most importantly, now that I have a feel for some of the new technologies that are out there, I have been given new ways to refute the constant jabs from the biologists and engineers around this campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment